We are looking for a Desk Editor to join Hodder Gibson’s editorial team and help deliver a range of exciting new educational resources for Scotland’s teachers and learners.
Who we are and what we do
We are proud to be one of the largest education publishers in the UK and internationally. We aim to make a difference for teachers and students by offering a broad range of quality resources and services, from curriculum resources to assessments. This means that we are growing as a successful and profitable business. Our success is rooted in our values: putting all teachers and students at the heart of what we do; always looking to improve the quality of what we create; working collaboratively; and being trustworthy in what we publish, how we work as a team and with our customers.
Our publishing and editorial teams based in Scotland are responsible for our Scottish curriculum publishing: including TeeJay Maths and Hodder Gibson covering primary, secondary and FE titles.
What you’ll be doing
We are looking for candidates who will:
- take responsibility for managing the publication of multiple and varied projects from receipt of manuscript to finished product
- ensure high quality, cost-controlled and timely publication
- meet the needs of our end users: schools and students in Scotland
The role reports to our Managing Editor.
Who we are looking for
Ideal candidates will have proven experience in a desk editorial role, preferably in educational publishing.
The successful candidate will:
- have proven organisational skills, including planning ahead and independently managing publishing projects
- be quality orientated with a meticulous eye for detail
- be focused on the needs of the end user for each project
- be a strong communicator, who is pro-active, adaptable and a good team player
- be able to demonstrate delivery of cost control, copy editing, proof reading and understanding of copyright issues
- have computer literacy and an aptitude for learning new systems (Biblio experience would be an advantage)
- demonstrate an understanding of the Scottish educational market, with proven experience in an editorial or publishing role and a full understanding of the publishing process.
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary and range of benefits, an inspiring work environment, and the opportunity to join a dedicated and passionate editorial team.
Get in touch and tell us what you can offer and why you’d like to talk to us about the role.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
We also recognise the importance of a good work-life balance, and champion flexible working. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process if this is something you want to explore.
Closing date: Monday 3 August 2020
Salary: £22,000 – £25,000 depending on experience.
To apply, please click here
The role will initially be based within our Glasgow office when it is safe to reopen, but we have plans to move to new Edinburgh offices in early 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and we will be conducting interviews via Zoom. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.